If you’re rooting your phone, I’d recommend downloading your relevant RUU file first and saving it on your computer somewhere so that you can unroot whenever you need to…
To unroot your phone and restore it back to how it was just use the following instructions:
- Go to Shipped-Roms – link
- Download the RUU file which corresponds to what network branding your Desire came with
- Run the file once it’s download and follow the on-screen instructions
- At the end your phone should be restored to the exact state it was in when you got it
I just came accross this little shortcut and thought it’s worth sharing
To restart your Desire in case it stops responding just do the following:
Press down the Power Button + Volume Down Key + Press the Trackpad. Within a couple of seconds your Desire will restart.
Saves you having to take out the battery, put it back in and turn the phone on.
That’s it. Short and sweet.
UPDATE: Bear in mind that you shouldn’t use this to restart your phone on a regular basis. This method doesn’t shut your phone down properly so you could lose unsaved data. It’s like hitting the reset button on your computer when it crashes. You should only use it if your phone crashes or becomes unresponsive or any other situation where you’d normally pull out your battery.
I did mention this briefly in the article intro, but saw that some people were still confused in the comments – hope this clarifies it.
Additionally, this will not perform a factory reset or wipe your entire phone, it just performs a power cycle: off then back on.
This simple guide shows you how you can use your favourite part of any MP3 song on your Desire as a ringtone. This means you can skip out any long intros and just the bit that you want.
What You Need
- The song on your Desire (in MP3 format) – must appear in the Music player. I normally use DoubleTwist to sync music with my phone
Instructions (click any image to enlarge)
- Open the Music app and find the song you want to use
- Press Menu and choose the Set as Ringtone option
- Choose the Trim the ringtone option. This will bring up the Trim Ringtone screen
- Use the Sliders at the bottom to select the portion of the song you want to use
Left slider – Clicking the left slider will play the song from that point so you can preview where your ringtone will start from
Right slider – Clicking the right slider will play the song from a few seconds before that point so you can preview how your ringtone will end
Play/Pause – Use this to preview your ringtone. Bear in mind the sliders mentioned above determine where playback starts
Left button – use this to move the selected slider backwards one step (for a precise selection)
Right button – use this to move the selected slider forward one step (for a precise selection)
- When you’re happy with the preview press the Set as button
- Choose whether you want this is as your default ringtone (Phone ringtone) or assigned to a single contact (Contact ringtone)
- Wait for it to press, after which it will be set as the ringtone type you selected
- Press Exit
- To use the same ringtone again, you don’t need to repeat the process. The ringtone is saved to your SD card and will appear in the default ringtone menu where you can select it.
That’s it. Using a section of any song on your Desire as a ringtone is quick, easy and intuitive!
If you find your phone unusable because of an application you installed then don’t fret. There’s an easy way to start your phone in “Safe-Mode” which disables all 3rd party apps so that you can remove any problematic applications and continue using your phone as normal
- Turn off your phone
- Hold down the Menu button
- Turn the phone on (keep Menu held) and wait for the phone to start up
- When your phone’s started you’ll see it saying Safe Mode in the bottom left. You can let go of Menu now!
This is the first from a series of mini-guides that I’ll be posting up on the site, which are responses to questions commonly asked by readers.
This one explains how to remove the “Sent from my HTC” signature from your outgoing email messages.
- Open Mail
- If you have more than email account, select the account you want to modify
- Press the Menu button
- Select More
- Select Settings
- Select General Settings
- If you want to remove the signature then uncheck Use Signature
If you want to use a custom signature, select Signature and type in your custom message and press Save
- Press Back twice
- The Sent from my HTC message should no longer appear at the end of your emails!