Posts tagged contacts
When you start using your Desire you’ll notice on one of the homescreens there’s a widget called Favourites that allows you to quickly access contacts that are in your Favourites group. If you have any other groups e.g. Friends, Family etc, you can use any of these groups instead of Favourites too. Here’s how:
If you don’t want to use the Favourites group, or if you’ve removed the Favourites widget from your homescreen then follow these steps:
- Remove the widget (hold-down and drag it to the Remove area that appears at the bottom).
- Add it again by pressing the Add button (bottom-right) and select Widget > People > The style you prefer.
- When prompted select the group you want the widget to use, or create a new group
This is the easy part
- Press the placeholder which says Add contacts or press the + sign at the bottom of the widget
- Select the contact you want to add
- Select the action that should be performed when you select that contact from the widget
- In People find a person you want to add to the widget and touch their name to view details
- Press Menu > then select Edit
- Press the Groups dropdown option
- Uncheck them from the group that the widget is using (default is Favourites)
- Save the contact
I’ve written this up as a response to a few people that emailed me about removing contacts from the widget.
If anyone else has any questions then feel free to get in touch using the details on the right (Get In Touch section in the sidebar)
Seems to be a few posts about syncing contacts to the Desire recently, I promise more variety in the next few posts (I’m open to suggestions) but I suppose this is the kind of thing people want right now as they start using their Desires!
Anyway, here’s a link to a Google page which gives you straight forward instructions on how you can directly sync contacts from your Symbian phone to your GMail account. Once synced, you can use that GMail account on your Desire and sync all the contacts down to your phone. It even works with your calendar too!
It’s really easy, done with software that should be on your Nokia already have (and if not it’s free to download anyway).
Basically: Nokia -> GMail -> HTC Desire. Simple.
Thanks to Stian216 on Twitter for the tip!
Note: This may work with other Nokia phones too depending on the version of Symbian OS that they use. This method is so easy it’s quite unbelievable.
Here’s what you do:
- On your Nokia go to Contacts
- Go on Options > Mark/Unmark > Mark All
- Go on Options > Copy > To Memory Card
- Connect your phone to PC
- Browse to /Other/Contacts/ on your phone’s memory card
- Copy all the .vcf files to your PC
- Connect your Desire to PC and mount as USB
- Copy all the .vcfs to the SDCard (make a directory for neatness if you like)
- Open the People app on the Desire
- Press the Menu button and select Import/Export
- Select the Import from SDCard option
- Select the Import All vCard files option
All your contacts will now be on your Desire using really simple steps.
NOTE: This has been tested on an N95 and should work on other phones too. It even worked on a Sony Ericsson K750i!
UPDATE 1: 15 April 2010 – 15:22: Updated the instructions on what to do on your Nokia
Here’s a really simple and straightforward way to transfer contacts from almost any Sony Ericsson mobile phone (non-Android of course) to your HTC Desire:
- Download and install MyPhoneExplorer (free)
- Connect up your Sony Ericsson phone with the USB cable
- Extract your contacts to a single VCard file
- Go to GMail and login to the account you use with your Desire
- Go to Contacts
- In the top-right corner select Import
- Select the VCard file that was created by MyPhoneExplorer
- Once the import is complete you can organise them into any group(s) that you want
- On your Desire go to Settings > Accounts and Sync, select your Gmail Account and Sync Contacts
All your contacts should now appear on your HTC Desire!