HOW TO: Install An Official Update Zip File
This simple guide shows you how to install an official update file for the Desire. This doesn’t involve rooting, debranding or anything of that sort. It’s the equivalent of manually installing an OTA update for your phone.
Note: It’s worthwhile backing up all your data before installing any update (even if you’re installing an OTA) just in case it does perform a wipe.
- First of all you’ll need the update file
- Make sure the update file is called update.zip – rename it if you need to
- Copy this file to your SD card – make sure it’s in the top-level, not in a folder
- Turn off your phone
- Hold down Volume Down and press Power. You should end up in the HBOOT menu
- Select Recovery (move down with Volume Down, select with Power button)
- You should now see a screen with a red exclaimation mark
- Hold down the Volume Up button and press Power
- Select apply SD:update.zip