HOW TO: Install APK Files From Your Computer
Here’s a quick tutorial for new Desire owners on how to install Android applications (.apk files) onto your HTC Desire:
- Download Astro File Manager from the Market
- Connect your phone to computer in disk drive mode (connect to USB cable, select Disk Drive from the options that appear on the phone, press Done)
- Copy the APK file to the SD card (anywhere you like)
- Disconnect phone from computer (remembering to Safely Eject first)
- Open Astro and browse to the file
- Select the file and choose the Open App Manager option
- Press the Install button
- If you get a message saying: “Install Blocked. For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market”, go to Settings > Applications > check the box which says Unknown Sources
- Make sure that any apk files you download are from a reputable source
- If you’re concerned about phone security then turn the Unknown Sources option in Step #7 off again after installation
- Update to Google Goggles Solves Sudoku Puzzles!
- SHARE: Submit Your Favourite Games and Applications of July 2010
- FAQS: Your HTC Desire Questions Answered #2
- HOW TO: Prevent Music and Image Folders Appearing in Music/Photos Apps
- HOW TO: Restore All Your HTC Widgets
- APPLICATIONS: Top 10 Desire Applications (May 2010)
- GAMES: 10 3D Games Coming This Friday from Gameloft
- SHARE: What Applications and Games Do You Use?
- HOW TO: Root the HTC Desire!!!
- HOW TO: Using QR Codes