This guide shows you how to root your Desire very easily. There’s two methods to root, I prefer this one. You just download a Linux Live CD and use it to run UnrEVOked. Don’t be put off by the word “Linux”, this tutorial’s really easy.
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for anything that may go wrong by you following these instructions. Proceed at your own risk!
What You’ll Need
- HTC Desire!
- blank CD
- computer with CD/DVD writer, and some software to burn with (if you don’t have burning software try ImgBURN)
- A Linux LiveCD (I used Slax)
- If you’re on a wireless network, then download Unrevoked for Linux from their site and copy it onto a USB stick (or your phones SD card)
- Burn your Linux LiveCD to your blank CD using your burning software
- Keep the CD in the CD drive and restart your computer
- You should see Slax starting to load up – if not you may have to change your boot sequence so that the CD boots before your hard drive (guide)
- You’ll see a Slax start screen – select “Slax Graphic Mode (KDE)” then wait for Slax to load up
- Once you get to the Slax desktop, open Firefox using the icon in the taskbar at the bottom, and go to: http://unrevoked.com/. Select the Desire, click “Unrevoked3” and select “Download for Linux”. Choose the Save option when prompted by Firefox
If you’re on a wireless network just copy the file from your USB drive or SD card to the Desktop.
- Extract the file you download (instructions below if you don’t know how)
- On your Desire go on Settings > Applications > Development and make sure “USB Debugging” is turned on
- Connect your phone to your USB cable
- Run Unrevoked (file’s called reflash) and wait a couple of minutes whilst it roots your phone
- When it returns the success message you know you’ve successfully rooted your phone!
The video below shows the rooting process:
(Optional) Detailed Instructions on How To Extract the File You Downloaded
If you don’t know how to extract the UnrEVOked file downloaded from Firefox, follow these steps:
- Go to the Slax desktop (close any open Windows)
- Double-click the Home icon on the Desktop -> go into Downloads
- Right-click reflash.tar.gz and select Preview in Archiver
- Right-click the file in the window that opens, and select “Extract”
- When it asks you to select a location, click the Folder icon next the text box (which says root) and select Downloads
- Press OK
At the end of this guide your phone should be rooted and you’ll be in recovery mode. At this point you can restart your phone and continue using it normally, but with the bonus of having root permissions.
You’ll be able to run apps that need root permissions like ShootMe for screenshots, and Titanium Backup which lets you make a backup of all your apps and the app data (really suggest you do this if you’re going to install a custom ROM)
You can now move on to installing custom ROMS including the leaked version of Froyo if you like 🙂