This guide was initially part of the How to Take Screenshots tutorial but has been separated out because it’s going to be referenced in a few upcoming tutorials.
Instructions – Mac users can skip to step 5
- Go to the Java Runtime Environment (or the JDK if you intend to develop your own apps) page
- Select your Operating System, agree to terms and click Continue
- Download the file shown below (the version number may differ, this is the latest at time of writing this article)
- When the download completes run the file to install it
- Get the Android SDK – free download available from here. Downloads are at the top of the page, just choose your relevant operating system – no need to follow the instructions on that page!
- When the download has completed extract the file:
- Windows – Right Click -> Extract All -> Follow the onscreen prompt.
- Mac – Double click the file
- Open the extract android-sdk-rXX-<os> folder, the android-sdk-<os> subfolder within it (if it’s there). You should see something like this:
- Windows: install the latest Android phone drivers using the instructions here
- That’s it. You’ve now got the Android SDK setup on your computer.